Monday, February 21, 2011

Is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Important to Todays Youth?

Last week, in my class of mostly seniors and juniors I decided to discuss Dr. Kings Dream in observance of black history month. After giving the class a brief overview of the late great Dr.King and breaking down his dream, I allowed them to listen to the famous speech. During the speech the students did not pay attention and in my opinion tried very hard to ignore what was being said. Some of the comments after it was finish was we heard this a million times.

This was disturbing to me for two reasons. The first reason is my class contained a majority black population with one Latin student and one European student. The second reason being the disrespectful manner and disregard for this man who has done so much. Don't get me wrong I know that Dr. King has been over emphasized during Black History month but come on its Dr. King. 

I learned from this a great deal because it definitely was a teachable moment. It was hard for me to get pass my own feelings and teach why its important to respect the history and sacrifices made of those before us. Needless to say I realized that one lesson isn't enough to change everyone's heart. I'm still working on this group, to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment