Thursday, March 24, 2011

Volunteer Experience-Avid Program

During my free time I offered to help out with the AVID program at my The-High. The AVID program is a great program that helps students who are sort of in the middle of the pack get to college. We have AP and IB programs for the smart kids and we have mentoring programs for the 1.0 and below kids. So the AVID program is special because it catches the students who face the risk of not making it to college and send them to college succesfully.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I help out for two periods. The students are required to take Cornell notes in each of their classes and come to the AVID class with at least two questions from classes they are struggling in. The students get into small groups and one student at a time gets up to do their problem. The students are teaching each other and can't answer the question but uses the Socratic method to find the answer. I'm more or less a facilitator and I actually enjoy it. 

Stay tuned to my next post about a student who I helped in the program, he's currently going to trial for a burglary and resisting arrest.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great program, and one that is needed everywhere. Students often get lost in the middle, and it is unfortunate that the potential they possess rarely gets nurtured. Keep us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete