My journey as a young man in High School
I’m 28 years old, athletic build, neatly groom, veteran, well dressed, professional and handsome (so I’m told) young man in an environment filled with raging hormones. I face things in an urban school that I don’t believe many teachers are faced with (to this extent). I would compare my experiences to an exotic dancer in a club. If you haven’t been to a “Gentleman’s” club than you probably can’t relate. For example, when a female walks through the gentleman’s club she is subjected to name calling (come here baby, sweet cheeks etc.) and touching (everywhere). It doesn’t go as far as touching, but its close enough and also name calling isn’t as out of line as a gentleman’s club.
Today I was told by a student “there goes my husband”, and another student said “there goes my baby”. Now there are a lot more things said as I’m walking through the halls but I try my best to not acknowledge them in any way. I look straight ahead and act as if I don’t hear them.
What I’m concern with are these students who don’t know better and see it as a crush. They see nothing wrong with telling an administrator these things. I know because I pull a lot of these students aside to inform them that it isn’t appropriate. After explaining why it’s inappropriate the no longer do these things. The concern is also the teachers with whom I work with that I believe encourage or egg the students on. They even come tell me that students have a crush on me. It’s like a game to them and I don’t know how to handle them.
What is a man to do? Do I address each and every student?
To me the teachers are ignorant to the fact that they are responsible for teaching these students what is appropriate behavior. You do have a responsible to teach these students what appropriate behavior is but you must also choose your battles.
ReplyDeleteAs for the teachers telling you the students have a crush tells me that they need to grow up. If this bothers you to the point that you hate dealing with these teachers, you might want to tell them that you value you students and don't appreciate hearing those kind of remarks. You are an adult and should be respected like one. If they don't like it well tough, you're there to teach the kids and not be their soap opera for the day.